This really is the most extravagant automaker company in this day and age. It will definitely leave a bright mark in history regardless its further commercial development. Here are 20 facts you may not know about Tesla Motors
1. This American start-up carmaker based in Silicon Valley is named after Nikola Tesla, a famous inventor and scientist in the area of radio technology and electric engineering of Serbian descent.
2. The first 100 Tesla Roadster (the first automobile of the company) were made within a month. One vehicle cost 100 000 dollars. Serial production started in March 2008.
3. Among the investors of the company there are Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the co-founders of Google Inc., Elon Musk, one of the co-founders of PayPal payment system, Jeffrey Skoll, the first president of Internet auction firm eBay.
4. The car battery is the most important innovation of Tesla Motors. Its exact layout is a commercial secret.
5. Functions of the car produced by Tesla Motors can be changed by updating the software, much like a smartphone or similar gadget.
6. Tesla Model S is now the best-selling car in Norway.
7. Brake pads of the car don’t need to be replaced
8. Model S accelerates from 0 to 100 kmph in as little as 1.2 seconds, even faster than Porsche Panamera.
9. You are not required to turn Tesla Model S engine on or off. It will go into sleep mode like a computer, after you park it near your house!
10. Tesla Motors share the main principles with the creators of the open-source software. Although owning many patents, the company still allows its designs to be used by any manufacturer, interested in the production of electric vehicles. Thus Tesla Motors hopes to give an additional impetus to the development of electric transport.
11. Tesla Model S is equipped with a rather unique feature – an air-filtering system with quite futuristic name: The Bioweapon Defense Mode. The company claims that said air-filtering system is 300 times better at filtering bacteria, 500 times better at filtering allergens, 700 times better at filtering smog, and 800 times better at filtering viruses.
12. In order to allow drivers to quickly charge their cars for longer journeys, Tesla Motors began building a network of 480-volt fast-charging Supercharger stations. There were 220 stations in North America and 180 in Europe by the end of 2015. Tesla car owners are able to use said stations absolutely free of charge.
13. The title of the most successful public company of 2013, according to The Wall Street Journal, rightfully belongs to Tesla Motors.
14. Model S was created in cooperation with some of world’s most technologically advanced companies, such as Siemens, Magna, Continental, Brembo, ZF.
15. The company choose to implement Apple’s experience while building its own dealership network. Tesla Motors owns the stores and sells directly to its customers in the store or via the internet. Currently, Tesla has over 200 stores and galleries throughout the world, with stores operating as specialty boutiques, acting also as interactive knowledge centres about company and its products.
16. The importance of company’s Supercharger network was proven when Tesla Model S owner John Glenn and his daughter Jill had crossed all the United States from New York to Los Angeles without spending a dime on ‘filling up’. While they had to recharge 28 times throughout the 5823-kilometre-long journey, ‘refuelling’ had not cost them anything. Tesla Motors had placed the charging stations along the major transport corridors, thereby increasing the mobility of its customers.
17. Nikola Tesla is probably the world’s greatest inventor. He has more original inventions to his credit than any other man in history. He is responsible for over 75 original discoveries and countless mechanical improvements. Throughout his long and fascinating life, Tesla registered over 300 patents worldwide. His inventions include induction motor, rotating magnetic field, Tesla coil, radio remote control vehicle, bladeless steam turbine, fluorescent light, laser beam, wireless communications, wireless transmission of electrical energy, remote control, robotics, electrical turbines, vertical take-off aircraft, just to name a few.
The Tesla Motors company had validated its will to live up to its famous namesake.
18. The Tesla Model X is a full-sized all-electric crossover SUV made by Tesla Motors. Its most noticeable feature is the falcon-wing doors, used for access to the second and third row seats. The falcon-wing doors is a type of the gull-wing door, used for rear passenger doors only. Tesla Model X is the fastest most technologically advanced SUV up-to-date.
19. In November 2015, after one of Model S owners had discovered the unreliability of safety belt lock of the front seat, the company decided to withdrew all 90 thousand vehicles to check and repair any detected malfunctions.
20. The Tesla Model 3 is an all-electric four-door compact sedan designed and manufactured by Tesla Motors. As of 7 April 2016, one week after the Model 3 unveiling, company officials claimed to have taken over 325,000 reservations. The potential revenue from the sale has reached the astonishing sum of $ 14 billion. The company argued that it was the most successful launch of a new product in the world history.